Marriage Equality USA (MEUSA) is the nation's oldest and largest grassroots, volunteer-driven organization dedicated solely to securing the right for ALL Americans to enter into legally recognized civil marriages.
With local chapters throughout the country, MEUSA is leading the fight for equality. Our record of helping educate local and state politicians and candidates to support equal marriage rights legislation, and our continuing work through coalition building, public education seminars, political actions, and media campaigns keeps us at the forefront of the marriage equality debate, and establishes us as the "go-to" organization for marriage equality.
- The first non-partisan group actively advancing civil marriage rights.
- MEUSA Long Island chapter twice honored by “Outlook Long Island” magazine.
- Honored with the Human Rights Award from the Village Independent Democrats in Manhattan, 2002.
- Publicly credited with NY State Senator Thomas K. Duane’s introduction of a marriage equality bill in the NY State Senate - January, 2001.
- Credited in Assemblymember Richard Gottfried’s introduction of a pro marriage bill in the NY State Assembly.
- Implemented the most comprehensive educational program in the marriage movement. Our site and our brochures have been noticed and cited by politicians, legal organizations and other key individuals when educating people on same-sex marriage.
- The first organization (joint effort with Lambda Legal) to institute a comprehensive grass roots marriage and media training program for activists.
- Held the first-ever NY State and NYC Same-Sex Wedding Expo, garnering solid support from gay and non-gay businesses.
- Organized the largest annual march for marriage equality, called the Wedding March, which takes place in New York City (NY), San Francisco (CA), Buffalo (NY), Rochester (NY), Albany (NY).
- Honored by Log Cabin Republicans of NY in 2010 for our work on marriage equality in New York State.
- Created Marriage Equality Day, an opportunity to educate state politicians around family and marriage issues.